Saturday, July 24, 2010

This is my first blog


Hey folks,
My name is Dwain and I am going to blog about native and exotic plants in the great state of Florida. I am a landscaper and a landscape designer in southwest Florida and I hope to help people with there decisions on what type of plants and shrubs to put in the yards. I was raised in the Southwest Florida area so I know about the climate which as someone once said "Florida has only two seasons, wet and dry". I also know about the native plants that we use a lot of to save on water and maintenance. Right now as I post we are in our rainy season and as a matter of fact we just had a tropical storm pass over yesterday that dumped a bunch of rain which we needed because it has been dry for the past couple of weeks. My experience in exotic plants comes from my 22 years working as a groundskeeper and manager at the Thomas Edison and Henry Ford Winter Estates in Fort Myers Florida. Mr. Edison had a wide variety of exotic trees, plants, and shrubs throughout the estates that I personally took care of for all those years. I also worked as a landscape designer with a landscape architech here in Fort Myers for about 4 years and now I am trying to start a lawn and landscape business with my brother. This blog is intended to be an introduction to me and my experience in this field and in future blogs I will talk about choosing plants for certain spaces and how to plant and maintain the plants and different types of problems occur with the plant such as damage from insects, fungus, over watering, and under watering. I will also talk about fertilizer and what type to use with which variety of plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment